Thursday, February 15, 2007

Reflections on Teachers and Teaching

Honestly,I got bored whenever a teacher would not be jolly to students. I just do not feel like listening to them. I can say that because I do not know how hard is it to be a teacher. They are trying their best to do everything just to make the students learn from them. I am happy and honored that I am given a chance to teach students even only for a little time. It was the KYSD or Know Your School Day of the University of the Philippines. It is where students where given a chance to teach their fellow students about the subject assigned to that student. It is not only teaching but also being a staff of the school. There are students who act as the guidance counselor, the clerk, and be the principal.

I have the oppurtunity to teach the subject Math B or Geometry. I do not really like that subject because I do not excell in it. I find it very difficult. I have to study this and that. I am very slow in Math. I was really nervous. I have teach two sections not like some of my classmates, they are just teaching in our class. I have more time in studying it because I was assigned to teach on Friday. I really study but unfortunately, I did not understand some. I had a very hard time understanding it because I think that as I said I am really very slow in the subject Math. Geometry is somewhat easier than algebra but it is still Math. The real thing is I really really hate Math when I was in first year because for the two gradings I got a line of seven in Math. I am angry the teachers but I am angry at myself. It is my fault then why I have a very low grade in Math. What a challenging experience for me to teach Geometry.

When the time comes that it will be my turn to teach them my chosen subject, I have so many WHAT IF in my mind. What if they will not understand the topic that I am going to teach them. What if they will blame me about their score when we will have a test about the topic because they do not understand. What if they would not want to listen to me because they find it boring. What if they do not like me as their temporary teacher. So many, right? But then I have to face those challenge given to me. It was okay but I think I did not expain clearly to my section because of I am nervous. It is normal for the first time. And also because some of my classmates were not listening to my discussion. But the other section was so nice to me. They were listening and cooperating.

Now I know the feeling of being a teacher even just for a little time. I already know the feeling when students listen and cooperate. You will feel happy. I also feel that whenever the students were not listening, you will feel that you are not a good teacher. I have learn my lesson now. It is not that easy as you think. Being a teacher is a very difficult job.

No comments: